· Garlic is believed to be diaphoretic, expectorant, diuretic, febrifuge, stomachic, stimulant, tonic, antiasthmatic, anthelmintic, anticholesterolaemic, antispasmodic, antiseptic and cholagogue.
· It is used to treat cancer, obesity, coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypercholesterolaemia, hypertension, microbial infections, cataract and gastrointestinal problems.
· Garlic, fenugreek and onion are used in Persian folklore medicine to treat diabetes.
· Garlic is used as the cure for gastritis, typhoid fever, dysentery, cholera, pneumonia, tuberculosis, heart disease, diabetes mellitus and hypertension.
· In southeastern Morocco, onion and garlic are used to treat hypertension.
· Garlic is used to enhance appetite and correct the effects of gluttony.
· During the past two world wars, garlic was used as an antiseptic.
· The syrup which is made from garlic aids asthma, cough, hoarseness, breathing difficulty and pulmonary disorders.
· Garlic assists tuberculosis, chronic bronchitis and dropsy.
· Garlic is rubbed on affected areas of rheumatism, arthritis, and toothaches.
· Garlic if rubbed over ringworm provides a relieving effect.
· In Mexico, bulb of garlic is consumed to prevent tuberculosis.
· In India, the garlic juice is applied after diluting in water to prevent hair color from turning grey.
· Garlic juice is used as vermifuge in the Antilles.
· In traditional Chinese Medicine, garlic is used to treat cold abdominal pain, diarrhea, oedema, dysentery and whooping cough.
· The Chinese people intake high amount of garlic to cure malnutrition or oedema